First it was the mathematics of harmonics and resonance (or is that doubling up?)
Then it was all about the beats.
Now it's all about the melodic memes (aka samples). When you listen to a remix or even better, a mash-up, you get the pleasure of listening to the old song(s) with all the emotional associations that go along with that plus the revitalisation that comes with new beats, new arrangements and new emotional associations.
It's like when a second meaning emerges from the literal meaning of the words.
We were talking about another form of melodic memetics with revitalised associations on the weekend - playlists. Rather than get into the symbiotic relationship of Flash Memory, MP3 and Gens X&Y, here's my playlist contribution:
- Shirley Bassey - Where Do I Begin? (Away Team Remix)
- Pink ftg Redman - Get This Party Started (Sweet Dreams Remix)
- Fugees ftg Aphrodite - Ready or Not (Jungle Remix)
- Michael Jackson vs Royskopp - Remember the Time (DJ Fab Remix)
- Madonna vs Tone Loc - Funky Cold Madonna
- Busta Rymes - Turn It Up (Remix)/Fire It Up
- Jessica Simpson - These Boots Are Made For Walking (Scott Storch Remix)
- Cold Cut - Autumn Leaves (Irresistible Force Mix Trip 2)
- Bug Powder Dust ftg Justin Warfield - Bug Powder Dust (LA Funk Mob Remix)
- Living Color - Love Rears Its Ugly Head (Soulpower Remix)